One Reader’s Voice Out Loud with Alison

Our readers are the foundation of what makes indieBRAG unique.  They not only select the books to become the next B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree but give feedback to our authors. This feedback is important not only to the authors but to the reader as well. Readers carry a lot of weight in what we regard as quality in self-publishing. Not only that but how readers see author’s platforms and performance on social media. Today Alison is sharing with us her thoughts about authors promoting on social media. 

indieBRAG: How do I find books and what do I think of social media and books?

I find books through personal recommendation, social media and reviews in mainstream media. Not all social media is effective at promoting books and authors need to experiment to find out what works best for their genre.

indieBRAG: Do you go to an author’s website or social media when looking for a book or do you usually pick a book based on a search on sites such as amazon?

I will go to an author’s website and social media to find out more about them and what else they’ve written. I don’t choose a book directly from a retail site; I need to know about them first.

indieBRAG: If you search books retail sites such as amazon or B&N, how important is the cover, title and synopsis?

A professionally designed book cover, an appropriate title and a compelling synopsis are crucial. Good design includes an appropriate font choice, layout and colour scheme. If a book cover looks amateurish, it would have to have an enticing and well-written synopsis for me to click on the link.

indieBRAG: Does it turn you off when an author promotes their book on social media a lot?

Yes, a pushy writer, constantly promoting on social media, is a total turnoff. I won’t read their book. 85% of the time writers should be posting interesting content and self-promoting the other 15%.

indieBRAG: When going to an author’s blog or Facebook pages do you hope for more than just promotion of their book?

I go to a website and social media to find out about them as a person. Always being on message about their book and the topics they write about is a turn off for me.

indieBRAG: Does it make you more interested in an author’s books if you feel like you have gotten to know them a bit more?

Getting to know the writer and learning a little about their life, (especially if they have a story to tell) piques my interest.

indieBRAG: If you meet an author in person – at signings etc.-are you more likely to buy their books?

I buy signed paperbacks from authors at events if they’re in my preferred genres.

indieBRAG: By offering free short stories or pieces that expand on their characters, make it more likely you will look at the books they offer?

I like to read blog posts, articles and short stories but a free story doesn’t influence my buying decisions.

indieBRAG: Do you depend on reviews on sites such as Amazon and B&N?  If so are you suspect that they may be padded with friends or members of an author’s writing group?

I read and take notice of independent reviews on Goodreads and on Amazon if the reviews are written by Vine Voices, bloggers on NetGalley and verified purchasers.  I take no notice of the reviews where the author has a connection with the reviewer, (endorsements, really) written by an author’s friends, family, or a member of their street team.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *