Previously published on Layeredpages
Book Blogging isn’t always easy and takes a lot of time and effort. I am a firm believer it takes both the author and the blogger to work together for support of each other’s medium on social media.
Bloggers and Authors lead such busy lives and it’s not always easy to be in contact with each other. We are always pulled in so many different directions. In many ways, I like to think that bloggers and authors have like minds in creativity and structure. We are in constant need of nurturing that creativity. But before I get carried away on that thought, let’s get back to bloggers supporting authors.
Check list for supporting authors:
- This is the most important so I’m adding this first. DO NOT troll an author. Do NOT. I’ve seen bloggers use their platform to bash and harasses authors-for whatever reason-and I have zero respect for that. If you have a disagreement, do not further engage. And that means, do not smear the authors name on a public platform. Now, I don’t need to go into the reasons why you should not harass authors. You should be smart enough to figure out why. I hope.
- When an author sends you books or bookmarks, be sure to give them your thanks. I even blog about it at times or share on Facebook what I received. Not only do authors like that but so do readers!
- I get flooded with so many request from authors to be featured on Layered Pages. Sometimes, emails get lost or there are just too many to get to. This year I made a promise to myself that I would do my best to respond to everyone. Now, I know there are authors who send out spam emails and we have learned to ignore those. But really try to be gracious in answering emails.
- Reviews: It’s a bloggers job to give an honest analysis of books we review. It does not mean that you down right insult the author. Give constructive reasons why you did not care for the book. Don’t just say, “I did not like this book, I don’t recommend it.” If you are going to write a review stating you did not care for the book, state why but be respectful.
- I like to come up with creative ways in supporting authors on Layered Pages. Every year you blog, try to come up with some new ways to feature the authors you love. This year, I have come up with a few new series. Stay tuned for those. Authors are jumping on them! It’s going to be exciting!
- Follow and interact with your favorite authors on social media. This helps attract more attention to their books and what can be more exciting than getting to know the writer of your favorite stories?!
- We are not the author’s every day readers. We are a book reviewers and professional readers. Most of us are anyways… Let’s behave accordingly.
- Authors put their heart and soul into their stories, lets show them our gratitude and keep encouraging them to bring us more wonderful stories. Without them, we would be lost.
Stephanie M. Hopkins